We talk about dog shampoo ingredients a lot because they are SO important to the long term health of your dog.
In The Forever Dog, the worldwide #1 Best Seller book by Rodney Habib and Dr. Karen Becker, DVM, they make very clear that dog shampoo should be "chemical free".
What does "chemical free" mean?
It means quite simply that it should contain no synthetic or artificial chemicals.
We have written article after article on the links between cancer, endocrine disruption and other health issues associated with the synthetic ingredients in traditional dog shampoo.
We've talked a LOT about greenwashing - which means advertising a product as all natural and organic when it has synthetic chemicals.
How 4-Legger Is Different (And Better)
4-Legger created the first and only dog shampoo ingredient database so pet parents can look up ingredients to see if they really are natural and non-toxic.
Manufacturing certified organic dog shampoo is not the same as traditional dog shampoo. It is a LOT more work! Not to mention a lot more expense!
- Ingredients must first be USDA Certified Organic. This means the fields they grown in are free from pesticides and herbicides, non-GMO and that every ingredient has been reviewed by a third party.
- Ingredients are traced from the field to the bottle - we know the life history of every ingredient.
- Ingredients that are not able to be certified organic (water for instance, which is used in our original shampoo line), must still be included on the Approved Ingredient List as maintained by the National Organic Program. No exceptions.
- A third party reviews all of the documentation and the manufacturing process to ensure it is all done within the standards of the National Organic Program.
- Our label is reviewed to ensure it is accurate and ALL ingredients are listed.
Not only does 4-Legger use truly all natural ingredients like organic oils for our base and essential oils for healthy benefits and scent, we don't use any harmful preservatives in our shampoos.
Are You Ready for a "Chemical Free" Dog Shampoo?
A true organic dog shampoo is different than a traditional dog shampoo.
Here is what you need to know:
- The consistency is thinner by design because we don't use artificial thickeners
- Our organic shampoo needs water to create lather because we don't use artificial foaming chemicals
- Some (but not all) dogs go through a temporary transition period to our organic dog shampoo. When you bathe and rinse, you may notice a waxy feel on their coat. Don't freak out. Dry your pup off and you won't notice it when dry. It is the build-up of synthetic ingredients on their coat caused by non-organic shampoos and it will go away over time once you have all the synthetics cleaned off their coat with our synthetic-free shampoo. It is a short-term tradeoff for a longterm benefit.
- You might want to buy a foamer bottle to make our shampoo the consistency of shaving cream
- We have organic shampoo for cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, horses and other animals
Make the change to a true organic dog shampoo today - for the long term health of your furry family!
You may have noticed that we are now stocking The Forever Dog book because we know that it is a game-changer in the way that it will help educate conscientious pet parents about healthier choices to make for their beloved companions. It is so exciting to have a book that amplifies our message and is based on Dr. Karen Becker’s and Rodney Habib’s extensive and exhaustive education to a worldwide platform. We are so thankful to be a part of this revolution to change the pet industry!
Thank you for trusting 4-Legger!