Shipping starts at $5.95 (based upon package weight)

Do You Remember When Dogs Moved Indoors?

May 04, 2016

Do You Remember When Dogs Moved Indoors?

It wasn't long ago that the majority of dogs lived most of their lives outside. Hard to imagine that today. Some dogs got to come inside at night, if the weather was bad, or for a special occasion - like Christmas (seriously).

Since they weren't sitting next to us every night, we didn't notice that they had that "dog smell". It was customary every summer to put a new "flea collar" on your dog and if the fleas "got bad" you'd give your dog a bath outside where they would promptly go roll in the dirt upon completion.  

We'd like to hear from you!  Do you remember what year your dog started living in the house as part of your family? Was there a specific reason why?  Who made the decision? Put your reply in the comments section! 

Gracie on Couch PillowThankfully our dogs are now an integral part of our families. Can you even imagine making your dog sleep outside now? 

Why did we want to look back on the integration of the dog into the family?
We were trying to pinpoint when we made our dog's environment toxic. We asked some veterinarians this question and their responses were enlightening. They said that in their experience, the number one reason dogs died before the late 1990s was from old age or being hit by a car. Now, it is cancer and hormone (endocrine) dysfunction, liver dysfunction, heart problems and a growing list that resembles human ailments way too closely.  

We studied these responses and compared them to changes in our society. It is true that with leash laws, less dogs are running around to be hit by cars. That however can't account for the fact that over 50% of all dogs die from cancer and only 5% of these cancers are genetic. The remaining 95% are environmental or lifestyle related.  

So, at some point, starting probably in the late 1990s, as our dogs became our fur babies, we introduced toxins into their world and increased their chances of getting cancer. Ugh. We were well-meaning, but even the best intentions have backfired.

So what has changed? Their food, flea and tick treatments, and grooming products are 3 biggies. The pet grooming product market has boomed yet regulations in the pet grooming industry are non-existent. That's right - nonexistent! There are no standards for ingredient purity and many manufacturers are using ingredients that have links to not only dry and itchy skin but also hormone disruption, cancer and many other health issues.

Next week, we are going to start breaking down the ingredients in traditional pet grooming products to put some focus on each of them. Until then, let us know when you first remember dogs being indoor dogs! Post your comment on our Facebook wall or in the comments section on our blog! 




Leave a comment


Also in Fetch the 4-Legger Blog

Is Natural Dog Toothpaste Really All Natural and Safe?
Is Natural Dog Toothpaste Really All Natural and Safe?

February 10, 2018

Learn about "poultry digest" and other ingredients in dog toothpaste and how natural dog toothpaste like dental powder and pet safe essential oils are a safe and non-toxic alternative to products with synthetic ingredients.

You can clean your dog's teeth and gums without synthetic ingredients!

Continue Reading

Your House Can Smell Fantastic by Diffusing Pet Safe Essential Oils
Your House Can Smell Fantastic by Diffusing Pet Safe Essential Oils

January 27, 2018

If you are new to the use of essential oils, welcome! 

Essential oils are therapeutically beneficial for both you and your pets.

Unfortunately, the quality of essential oils is a confusing smorgasbord with marketing that spans from honesty all the way to misleading claims and outright lies. It can be difficult to find essential oils that are safe to diffuse around your pets or yourself if you are searching based upon what is on the bottle or what the website says or worse, based exclusively on price.

We've got a quick "how to" on the use of pet safe essential oils you can use to make your house smell fresh and clean!

Continue Reading

Using Essential Oils To Support Your Dog and Cat's Neurological Health
Using Essential Oils To Support Your Dog and Cat's Neurological Health

January 20, 2018

When your dog has a neurological issue, it can be scary. While essential oils aren't miracle cures, they are very beneficial to support neurological conditions, giving your dog the best possible opportunity. 

Learn more about the NeuroBoost™ and NeuroBalance™ essential oil blends and why we've integrated them into our own dog's life. 

Continue Reading